Monday, October 20, 2008

Technology is Changing How We Live!

I have been back from vacation about a week now. I took my Amazon Kindle with me, it was so cool to have plenty of books to read that didn't take up any more room than one paperback. If I would have taken hardback versions my suitcase would have been overweight at the airline counter. The woman sitting beside me in the airplane asked me how many books the Kindle would hold. When I told her about 200 she couldn't believe it. I think I have her convinced to buy one.

My husband took his iPod Touch with him on our vacation. He really enjoyed being able to pull up Internet pages and weather forecasts/conditions of home in any hotel or coffee shop that had Wi-Fi. Technology sure played a key part of our vacation.

Well, now that I'm back to work I'm working hard to get caught up. It is mid-term time here at CSI - students are studying hard and really into the swing of writing papers and creating presentations. This is another area where technology is affecting us. A few years ago the library would create transparencies for students to use in class presentations using overhead projectors. Now students prepare PowerPoint presentations and use projectors hooked to computers. It seems like each semester at least one task (that we have always done) is changed by technology. VHS tapes are being replaced by DVDs, audiocassettes are being replaced by CDs - someday maybe textbooks will be replaced by the Kindle.

No comments: